Monday, December 10, 2007

Shirley’s B&B Whole Wheat Bread (quickbread – nonyeast)

My parents and I stayed at Shirley’s Bed & Breakfast on Vancouver Island years ago. I liked the bread that Miss Shirley served so much that I asked for the recipe. I never made it, because it needs buttermilk, bran, and whole wheat flour, things I don’t normally have. I recently read that one can often substitute yogurt (which I always have on hand) for buttermilk in recipes, so I decided to give it a try, and it worked. I hope you try this recipe, because even though it sounds like a lot of work, it’s not, and the result is a fantastic breakfast bread. It’s yummy (albeit a little less healthy) warmed up in the microwave with some butter slathered on it. Enjoy!

Makes: 2 loaves
Preparation time: 1.5 hours, start to finish

Ingredients:
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bran (I prefer oat bran, wheat bran also ok)
1 cup Sunny Boy or Red River cereal
(if you cannot find this cereal (which is usually with health foods or in the oatmeal section) you can substitute with 1/3 cup cracked wheat, 1/3 cup cracked rye, and 1/3 cup flax seeds. You can often find this combination in healthy grain hot cereals)
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking soda
¼ cup demerara or brown sugar
1 liter plain nonfat yogurt (about equal to 4.5 cups)
¾ cup milk, any type
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix all dry ingredients.
Stir in yogurt, milk, olive oil, and honey. Stir until moist, but do not over-stir. It will seem a little dry and tough – not stretchy like yeast bread, but not moist like banana bread.
Put the dough into two greased bread pans (regular loaf size).
Reduce oven to 325 F and bake one hour.
Then, turn off oven and keep oven door closed, and let bread sit in oven 15 more minutes.
Remove from oven and allow bread to sit on counter a few minutes before popping it out of the pans. Allow them to breathe upside-down for an hour or so before putting them in plastic bags, in the fridge, or slice them and put them in Tupperware.

No comments: