Monday, December 10, 2007

Corn Bread Muffins




I'm originally from the south, and I love cornbread. Here's the best recipe I've found. I only have metal muffin tins and the muffins usually get stuck, but a friend has the silicone kind and I am definitely going to have to get some of those! These are really easy to whip up around dinnertime :)

1.5 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (I used polenta - white or yellow, doesn't matter)
2/3 cup white sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (I used oil)
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400F (200C - or 180 with fan). Spray muffin tins with vegetable oil spray (I think this will make around 12 muffins).
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix oil, egg, milk, and vanilla extract.
Make a well in the center of dry igredients and pour in the mixed liquid. Stir lightly, just until blended. Don't overmix, or the muffins won't be tender.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins.
Bake in preheated oven 15-18 minutes, until the muffins have risen and are golden brown and springy to the touch.
Pop out of the tins and let cool a bit before serving.
Guten appetit! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi Saskiya,
I tried this one at home and everybody loved it!! It is so simple and easy to make. This one is going to go in my favourite collection of recipes.
Anu Dubey