Sunday, February 10, 2008

Baked Brussels Sprouts



You say you don't like brussels sprouts but wouldn't mind liking them? If this easy and delicious dish doesn't do it, nothing will. I have always had my brussels sprouts steamed, with butter and I have always liked them that way. But then I heard something on NPR about making them crispy in the oven. I tried it, and they came out even better than I expected. As they lay on their baking sheet, waiting for the other elements of dinner to be ready, everyone who walked by was popping them into their mouths, and about a quarter of them were gone before the rest of dinner was on the table. That is something you might expect for fries, not brussel sprouts! I urge you to try these while they're in season:



Ingredients:
Any quantity of brussels sprouts, dirty or grainy outer leaves removed, cut in half lengthwise (so that each half gets part of the base, and they thus don't fall apart) and soaked in salted water.
olive oil, to coat
salt and garlic powder, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/around 200 degrees C. Drain the sprouts and toss them in the olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Spread them on a foil-lined (for easier cleanup) baking sheet, cut side up. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until they are browned but not burned. Serve.

I recommend that you make more than you think you want to eat because believe me, they will be better than you expect!

No comments: